Did you know that nearly 5 million Americans live with a developmental disability? That’s nearly one in 66 of the entire US population! The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that one in six children ages 3-17 are living with a developmental disability.
What is a Developmental Disability?
The CDC defines “Developmental Disability” (DD) as a group of conditions due to an impairment in physical, learning, language, or behavior areas. These conditions begin during the developmental period, may impact day-to-day functioning, and usually last throughout a person’s lifetime.
The impact of developmental disabilities on an individual can vary widely, with some requiring support throughout their lifetime, while others may only need occasional assistance. With tailored support, many individuals living with DD can become quite independent. Some of the most common developmental disabilities include: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, hearing loss, ADHD and visual impairment.
Easterseals UCP’s Programs Help Individuals Living with Developmental Disabilities
At Easterseals UCP, we are passionate about helping children, adults and families living with developmental disabilities to help them live their best possible life. We do this by offering a wide range of programs and services at more than 100 locations throughout North Carolina and Virginia.
Easterseals UCP Programs for Developmental Disabilities
- AgrAbility Virginia assists farmers, farmworkers and their families who identify with illness, injury or disability to work safely and productively with dignity through education, rehabilitative services and assistive technology.
- Autism and ABA Services provides tailored support to individuals living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), including in-home and center-based ABA therapy.
- Busy Beats Music Group is a preschool-aged music group designed for children ages 18 months to 4.5 years old. This program utilizes music therapy to aid in progression towards developmental milestones.
- Camp Easterseals UCP is an overnight camp in Virginia for children and adults living with disabilities and special needs. Summer camps, weekend respites and family camps are available.
- EMPOWER After School Programs are free after school programs for children living with intellectual and developmental disabilities who are in kindergarten through graduation.
- EMPOWER Summer Camps offer summer day camp experiences for school-age children living with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Available at multiple locations throughout North Carolina.
- EMPOWER Adult Wellness and Recreation programs provide adults living with intellectual and developmental disabilities with the opportunity to make new friends, engage in their communities and participate in fun activities.
- Foster Care provides out-of-home care for children and youth with behavioral health needs and intellectual and developmental disability supports.
- Individual + Community Services create opportunities for adults living with intellectual and developmental disabilities to learn in-home living skills, gain employment and access housing.
- NC START builds support networks for individuals living with intellectual and developmental disabilities who also have complex behavioral health needs. This program focuses on prevention, intervention and crisis services.
- Supported Employment helps individuals living with disabilities identify career interests and skills, connects them with competitive jobs and provides one-on-one assistance on the job.
- Transition to Employment prepares high school students and adults ages 16-26 years old with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities for employment.
- Transition to Independent Living is a unique independent living opportunity for individuals who have completed our Transition to Employment program.
- VA REACH builds support networks for individuals living with intellectual and developmental disabilities who also have complex behavioral health needs. This program focuses on prevention, intervention and crisis services.
About Easterseals UCP
Easterseals UCP North Carolina & Virginia is a trustworthy, compassionate partner providing exceptional disability and behavioral health services to help our neighbors live their best lives. Purpose, dedication and empathy drive our service delivery. Our diverse and inclusive 2,300 member team provides more than 9 million hours of meaningful support to 22,000 kids, adults and families in 11,000 home and community locations.